Bring this lavish paragon back to its former glory. This irreplaceable piece of history was built in 1890, during the time when Stamford’s many grand hotels flourished with tourists for social gatherings and entertainment. One of the few remaining glorious hotels, the Westholm is now in need of restoration, renovation and upgrades. The building contains 2 floors full of boarding rooms (about 40) above its main floor as well as a full basement and attic. One section of the building was most recently used as a restaurant. Its massive wooden bar once served many. The hotel is full of original details such as the amazing oak woodwork and doors, murals in the impressive lobby, a dramatic floating grand staircase, and claw foot bathtubs. The property has been surveyed, containing 1.449 acres – a good-sized lot for the village, and includes an additional back lot. Stamford itself has quite a lot to offer, including Mt. Utsayantha with its observation building and fire tower to enjoy the views, protected land for hiking and hunting, a great golf course, and several new businesses and restaurants.
Information from ‘A Postcard Portrait’ by Carlton & Dorothy Bloodgood:
The Westholm took pride in serving excellent food. The cheerfulness of the dining room added much enjoyment to the meals. After the dinner hour, the hotel’s orchestra provided music for dancing in Peacock Alley, the Westholm’s famous caberet.