The Laurel House (1852-1967) acquired the water rights to Spruce Creek and dammed it during tourist season, charging spectators below the falls a fee to watch as the waters were unleashed and the falls “turned on”. (Link: Wikipedia- Kaaterskill Falls)
Remnants of this dam can be observed along Spruce Creek. There is evidence of at least 2 locations where 2 dams existed. The pictures below show the much larger dam that once dammed the waters of Spruce Creek.